This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Study visa


Study visa

We will not process incomplete applications and we can reserve the right to reject your visa request. If the items listed below are not presented, the applicant will have to reschedule a new appointment.

Visa Application Form for long term stay (91 to 365 days).

Visa Application Form for short term stay (1 to 90 days).

Please notice that all the names appearing on the passport must appear on the application form (all data must match those on the passport). The form must be dated and signed in front of a Visa Officer at the Consulate General or, if mailed, only in front of the Honorary Consul.

Recent passport-size photograph on white background, full face and front view, stapled/glued to the application form. Scanned or photocopied photos will NOT be accepted;

Valid passport (plus 1 copy of the main page). The passport or travel document must be valid at least three months after the visa expiration date. Please make sure the passport is no older than 10 years and has at least two blank pages to affix the visa; passport
has at least two blank pages to affix the visa;

Original Permanent Residence Card (plus 1 copy front and back side)OR other US immigration document allowing re-entry into the
United States (e.g., valid long-term US visa, Advanced Parole, etc.). International students must submit original of F-1 Visa and I-20 (plus 1 copy of each document) ;

Original of Driver’s License or State ID (plus 1 copy)as proof of residence in the jurisdiction of this Consulate General. If you recently moved and have not updated your ID, you must submit another proof of current address (e.g., utility bills, bank statements, etc.);

Original of letter of enrollment from home academic institution, indicating the student’s current status (full-time in good standing) and expected date of graduation. If no longer studying, provide copy of transcript

Original letter of acceptance from an accredited Italian academic institution. The letter, on the institution’s letterhead, must specify the period of study, the full-time enrollment (at least 20 hours per week), and if tuition and room/board are covered in full.

Proof of financial means. A recent bank statement or a letter from a US banking institution, (a minimum of $ 800.00 per each month of stay in Italy is required). Students who receive financial aid must present an official letter from their University stating amount of aid and time of disbursement;

Affidavit of Support. If the applicant doesn’t have own funds because supported by the parents, one or both parents must submit an affidavit of support with the bank statement (see Proof of financial means). The Affidavit must be signed in front of the Visa Officer if the parents come with the applicant to the interview, or notarized by a Notary Public;

Proof of health insurance coverage abroad as follows: Certificate issued by the health insurance company or by the Study Abroad Program, stating that the student is covered for hospitalization, emergencies, evacuation and repatriation; or Affidavit of Overseas Health Insurance

Proof of lodging if not included in the letter of acceptance from the Italian Institution ( ex. Hotel reservation, host declaration, leasing contract);

Flight reservation for a round trip showing complete itinerary. If you visit more than one Schengen country, please provide means of transportation between countries;

Mailing Applicants can provide a SELF-ADDRESSED, PRE-PAID EXPRESS MAIL ENVELOPE to receive the passport and visa by mail. Envelopes with insufficient postage will not be accepted. Passport and visas can be always collected at this Office during regular business hours. WE DO NOT ACCEPT REGULAR MAIL.

Enrollment to Italian Universities for "Corsi di Laurea", Masters and "Corsi Singoli" you can apply for the study visa only if, you have already satisfied the requirements on Universities pre-enrollment registration. For additional information:  enrollment;

Internship: official internship project “PROGETTO FORMATIVO” drafted by the Italian company /institution and approved by the Italian local Authority “ Assessorato competente della Regione “. Study/Internships Visas is subject to available yearly quotas.

Minors: Authorization to travel signed by both parents. Parents can either appear before the VISA Attaché' or send a notarized consent; Birth certificate, original or a notarized copy; (All foreign documents MUST be translated into English and the translations legalized by the competent Consulate); Notarized copies of both parents' picture I.D. ;

Visa fee: (non refundable). This Consulate accept only Money Orders, Cashier's checks or cash payable to the Consulate General of Italy, We do not accept personal checks or credit cards 

The Office operates only by on-line appointment. To book your appointment, please click here.