This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK





This Consulate General provides information about the pension system in Italy, and issues certificates of life (certificato di esistenza in vita) for people who already receive a pension.

To qualify for an Italian pension, one should have enough work credit (contributi) and the age required by law.

People who have worked in Italy and do not have enough work credits in that country, may also apply for an Italian pro-rata pension, under the terms of an agreement between Italy and the United States (INPS and U.S. Social Security).

Widows and widowers may also be entitled to a partial benefit of the pension paid to the deceased spouse (pensione di reversibilita`). Applicants for this type of pension must submit a death certificate of the deceased spouse, as well as a marriage certificate.

Applications for Italian pension benefits should be submitted through the nearest Office of the Social Security Administration, or through one of the "Patronati" such as:

Patronato ACLI
25 Carmine St. New York, NY 1004
Tel: 1-212-974-8758 
Mrs. Giuseppina Azzolini
10940 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 600 Los Angeles, CA 90024
Tel. 1-310-443-4264 Fax 1-310-443-4265 Mr. Raffaele Di Martino

You can also visit the following web sites: 


U.S. Social Security