Pursuant to art. 13, letter c) of the Law n. 91/1992, italian citizens who automatically lost their Italian citizenship by acquiring U.S. citizenship before August 16th, 1992 are eligible, under certain conditions, to reacquire the Italian citizenship.
You must schedule an appointment with the Citizenship Office and appear in person at the Italian Consulate with the following documents:
– Italian birth certificate
– Certificate of naturalization (original and a photocopy)
– Copy of Italian passport (if available)
– valid U.S. passport
– valid drivers license as proof of residency in the jurisdiction of this Consular Office
– Receipt of the payment of 250 EUROS, to be paid by wire transfer using the following Bank Coordinates:
1) Beneficiary/Recipient Name: MINISTERO DELL’INTERNO D.L.C.I. – CITTADINANZA.
2) International Bank Account Number (IBAN): IT54D0760103200000000809020.
3) Beneficiary Address: PIAZZA DEL VIMINALE 1 – 00184 ROMA RM – ITALY.
4) Information for the Beneficiary: (your name and last name) – Riacquisto cittadinanza.
5) Beneficiary Bank RTN or SWIFT: BPPIITRR.
6) Beneficiary Bank Name: POSTE ITALIANE SPA.
7) Beneficiary Bank Address: TRIGORIA, VIA A. GIUFFRE’ 156 – ROMA ITALY.
At the Consulate you will be required to sign a declaration stating that you intend to reacquire the Italian Citizenship and set residence in Italy. The procedure will be concluded by the Comune in Italy where you will appear in person.
ACCORDING TO THE NEW LAW N.68 ISSUED ON MAY 28TH 2007, NO VISA OR “ PERMESSO DI SOGGIORNO” (PERMIT OF STAY) IS REQUIRED FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO REACQUIRE THE ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP.