The Italian passport is an identity document that allows you to travel to all countries recognized by the Italian government.
Passports cannot be renewed: on the expiry date, a new passport must be requested.
The booklet currently in force is the electronic passport and is issued:
• valid for 10 years for people over 18;
• valid for 5 years for minors between the ages of 3 and 18;
• with a validity of 3 years for minors from 0 up to 3 years.
Passports are issued for:
1. Italian citizens residing in the states under the jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Houston (Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Arkansas);
2. who are enrolled in the AIRE of the Consulate General of Houston;
3. have regularized the transcripts of civil status (marriages/civil unions, births/adoption of children, divorces, deaths of family members). Italian citizens are in fact required to declare to the competent consular office all changes in civil status – producing the relative deeds or other documentation – which occur during their stay abroad. The law 1185/1967 “Regulations on passports” provides, among other things, that when submitting the application, the interested party must prove his identity, possession of Italian citizenship and family status in the manner prescribed by law.
In case of theft, loss, deterioration read here.
We invite you to submit the application for the issue of the new passport before the expiry date and not to purchase travel documents without first having obtained the issue of the same.
Possession of a travel ticket will not be considered as an urgent reason for the issuance of a passport.